Yeah, the negative polarity part is important. In the 80s, those barrel
jacks all had negative on the center pin, which is backward from what you’d
expect. That changed at some point, and center positive is common now. So
if you get a universal power adapter, make sure to flip the polarity. (Some
come with a 3” adapter cable for that purpose.)

--
Tom Wilson
wilso...@gmail.com