On 6/18/20 4:55 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
Theoretically a standalone PC program could write sector access commands (either TPDD 1 or TPDD 2 style) and push the images straight to disk with no intermediate step.

Yes but that email was already long enough without including every possible qualification ;)

I have a vague recollection someone already coded that up?

I think Gary started on it, did some serial capture while working on tpddtool.py, but never got it all worked out.

But yes since it's a manageable (not too crazy complex, and well-documented) protocol talking over standard rs232 hardware, there is no reason a small program couldn't squirt the same commands and data from a pc out the serial port to the drive.

TpddTool.py would probably be the starting point for that since it's a 99%-baked tpdd client already done, runnable on any pc os or platform, written in nice scrutable hackable python.