John,

Thank you for the suggestion; I found a text file in the archive which says:

"DOS100.CO.MP3
TS-DOS 4.01 in MP3 Format.
For those who don't have a ROM or DOS loader:
SOUND OFF CLEAR 0, 57089 RUNM "CAS:DOS100.CO"

and was experimenting with that command string when My M100 suddenly died.
I switched to the 102 and entered:
SOUND OFF <ENTER>
OK
CLEAR 0,57089 <ENTER>
OK
RUNM "CAS:DOS100.CO" <ENTER>

The machine responded by playing the tape and displaying the parameters I
listed above.  There was no error message given and at length the tape
drive shut off, but there was no further message or action, either:  The
machine hung at the point and had to be cold-started.

I will try again, this time with the TPDD connected and powered up.

-CH-

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>