I found an old add that said and option were programs called Insurance Expert
I and II and Real Estate Expert.  Not sure if they were ROMS.
Interesting.
    On Saturday, June 27, 2020, 01:15:37 AM EDT, Gary Weber <g...@web8201.com>
wrote:

 The rumor I had heard way, way back in the day was that NEC had originally
intended to release ROMware for those cartridges.  Not sure it ever happened.
I'd like to believe they'd at least released the technical information on how
those ROM sockets are mapped within memory.  We just need to find technical
reference manuals covering the PC-8401A, 8500, and/or 8508A.   (Yeah, I know,
I'm laughing out loud as well...)