HI Jim,

Yea, you are right, there are a heap of analogue modem parts including M29
and M30 (TL064), and the 4584 Schmidt driver (M35) used for RS232 that are
powered by -5v.  Any of them drawing excess current will cause the -5v rail
to sag.

While the +5 and -5 are off the same transformer, the +5 is designed for a
much greater current draw.  Regulation on the -5 is simply by zener.  A
back of the envelope analysis of the Zener supply suggests that with the
180 ohm R97, and a -7.6v supply, it is only rated at 15mA or so, which is
not much, so any excessive load will drop the -5v.

I would be looking at the 4585 chips driver chip, or the opamps used for
the modem, or those caps etc.

You could remove the -5v supply to M29 and M38, by carefully cutting the
trace to pin 11 - that would remove the -5v and see if that helped.  Same
for M35, pin 7 is the -5v supply.

This will be a complex repair - but when you find it it will be extremely
satisfying.

Kindest regards,

Doug Jackson

em: d...@doughq.com