From: AvantGuard Systems
Sent: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 4:02 PM
To: m...@bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] Newbie

Thanks Ron,

I saw one post saying you can soak boards in a vinegar solution. Not sure I
want to do that, but is that possible?

 Curtis

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:32 PM Ron Lauzon <rlau...@tutanota.com> wrote:
Vinegar.  You will find many videos about cleaning up leaking batteries on
YouTube.

This is a common problem with vintage computers.

--
Weblog: http://ronsapartment.blogspot.com/

TRS-80 Pocket Computer 2 - TRS-80 Pocket Computer 4 - TRS-80 Model 100/102 -
Tandy 1100FD - Tandy 1400LT - Commodore 64 - TRS-80 Model 4P - Kaypro IV -
Commodore PET
RC2014 (Mini, Zed and Pro) - Altair-Duino with TI Silent 700 - VT320
terminal/Raspberry Pi 0
Some people like to work on old cars.  But old computers are cheaper and don't
require a big garage.

Feb 9, 2021, 15:26 by cavaug...@avantguardsystems.com:
Just joined the list as I just acquired a used TRS80 Model 100. Of course it's
not working, so I just wanted to first ask for some advice. I have been reading
info at Club100.
Basically, I feel I need to buy some stuff at Club100. First and foremost a new
battery, which is highly recommended. Also expansion RAM (since none has been
installed), probably the power supply (although maybe premature). But probably
better cost wise to get everything right away (shipping costs!).
Anyhow, opening it up though I see that this thing obviously had batteries left
in it and there is dry acid (whatever that is) about that general area on the
board. My concern is that that might be enough damage that there's no way to
recover it. Or maybe cleaning that area up might be fine. What is recommended
for cleaning up battery acid, btw.
Thanks for any suggestions!

 Curtis