There was a comment from GadgetUK on one of the M100 videos I did where he
mentioned the RAM module looked like the one used in something else. I’ll see
if I can look up that comment.

Jeff Birt

From: M100 <m100-boun...@lists.bitchin100.com> On Behalf Of Stephen Adolph
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 5:32 PM
To: m...@bitchin100.com
Subject: Re: [M100] PC-8201 "wide" DIL socket?

Yes I bought 2 of them.  That was 2016?  Sheesh.

They are made for that pinout.  So, was there some other application for the
"M100 ram module"?

Some NEC product?

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021, Brian K. White <b.kenyo...@gmail.com
<mailto:b.kenyo...@gmail.com> > wrote:

On 3/16/21 12:24 PM, Brian K. White wrote:

On 3/16/21 11:52 AM, Stephen Adolph wrote:

The NEC laptops use a wider than .600 DIL socket for the memory modules.

Anyone ever seen those sockets available for order, or have a part number?

I don't think I have ever come across those anywhere else.

thx
Steve

Mine just has separate single-row headers, not a single socket holding both
rows.

Same size and same modules as Model 100.

I did once find these NEC ram modules on ebay though that do have a one-piece
frame for the pins at 0.7"

It's curious. The sram chip, the pcb, and even the pin frame are all labeled
NEC, but as far as I can tell from any other pictures I've ever seen, PC-8201
did not ship with these. But they DO work in both my 8201a and my Model 100's.

If NEC didn't make these for their computer which they DO work in, then what
the heck WERE they made for?

The seller was in Romania and had more than the 8 I got, but sold out a few
months later.

Just for giggles, I filled my 8201A with them, so I have an NEC computer filled
with actual NEC ram.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qCnkqKSbatZmoyyw8