On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 4:25 AM Stephen Adolph <twospru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> man my memory is going.

Too many projects sitting around for too long :-)

> John we did a bunch of work tweaking newdos to get it to run across wide
> area network delays.
> I have an entire project here that I completely forgot about!
> Anyways where we left it was version 6 of newdos 5.02.  It seems to work
> much much better.  did find one problem, that "listing" a document seems to
> not tolerate delays.
> Steve

Yeah. And besides NEWDOS there's also the -win32 option to LaddieAlpha that
seemed to reduce latency a bit more.

But ultimately I feel the right thing is to disable timeouts in NEWDOS,
make them big, and/or add retries.

Aside from security stuff, people making their software sensitive and "not
work" at all in marginal conditions is always a mystery to me. DSR cable
detection is the worst... communication stalling when the cable is
disconnected is all the prompting a person needs to say "oops" and plug in
the cable.

I don't remember the Listing feature. Probably doesn't get used much and
has its own timeouts that weren't addressed by NEWDOS.

-- John.