I don't have any real measurements to back this up, but someone might find
this anecdote useful.

I feel like my 102's AA battery life was much better after I cut out the
internal NiCd cell. This idea is supported by the fact that it again seems
to go through batteries faster since I replaced the backup battery with a
new one.

Worth noting I run the machine on Eneloop NiMH cells, not alkalines.