That's what I remembered too. But acoustic couplers were just going away when I was in grade school so I only ever used them a few times.

Maybe it could theoretically download at 1200, at the expense of going half duplex or reducing upload to just 75, and assuming the software on the 100 is optimized and does not update the screen while downloading.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Acoustic_coupler-IMG_7282-7283.jpg

That even looks very similar to the one in the video. The cable is different and one of the cups looks a little different, but that does still look very similar.

Maybe it was a case that, just because it says 1200 on the box does not mean it can ever actually do it in real life, and maybe 300 was the effective limit and it could only go faster in theory.

Or maybe it was just the full duplex limit, since you're not going to actually do anything else but full duplex in any normal situation.

You can't go over 600 in a normal situation on a 100 anyway with screen updates even via direct null-modem. And I bet the 1200 over acoustic coupler over a phone line requires a perfect phone line, which I doubt a moving train in the 80's had.

But, the 100 can do 1200, in theory, with optimized software, and the modem at least claims it can do it, in theory.