I've been working on a crazy project to assemble / build utilities for the
Raspberry Pi to maximize the usefulness of it with the M100. I crammed a
TTL-RS232 converter inside a tiny little case. Slapped a button on one of
the GPIO ports to trigger an APC-Shutdown and that's pretty much it. I
tried running the Pi off the M100 using BKWs incredibly awesome
BCR-USB-Power adapter (https://github.com/bkw777/BCR_Breakout) - it works,
but eats the batteries too quickly. So I'm using a tiny little power bank
instead and it works fine. (Even have a nifty little USB to 6V power cable
now that also runs the M100.)

R-Pi gives me storage, wifi and a host of other utilities but it's all
through the tiny little screen. I constantly find myself breaking out my
phone / tablet or laptop to do complicated stuff and it got me wanting to
leverage the M100 keyboard and the full graphic capabilities of the Pi.

I fired up a VNC server on the Pi, it's part of the raspi-config setup now
so super easy to do, and went to work trying to figure out how to pass
keypresses from the Linux CLI to the host. I figured I could use my phone
or tablet as a remote display for the Pi X11 Desktop.

After learning WAY more about barcode readers than expected I settled on a
keyboard wedge method using X11-Test. Lashed together a quick little perl
script to send the keys to the X11 server and amazingly it worked!

I still need to add some inelegance for special characters but I am sending
this e-mail right now, from G-Mail, using my R-Pi as the host and my M100
as the keyboard. The Pi-Zero is horribly underpowered memory wise though,
so it's painfully slow. May be worth using a pi (or other device like my
GPD Micro PC, wouldn't even need VNC for that since it has a screen.) with
more memory..

 Here is a quick video demo for anyone who is confused/curious:
https://youtu.be/GIv831sT50w

Brian