Yeah. Actual "Data Cassettes" that were sold were C10. Just 5 minutes per
side.But again, it doesn't seem logical that a normal recorder made for audio
would be affected by this. I think most decent ones had some sort of speed
control built in.And anyway, this wouldn't be significant when playing back
from a PC soundcard anyway.
-------- Original message --------From: Tom Wilson <wilso...@gmail.com> Date:
Subject: Re: [M100] Cassette woes I always used 60 or 90 minute tapes - mostly
because that was what I could get for $1-2 at the local drug store. =)Tom
wilsonwilso...@gmail.com(619)940-6311 On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Scott
McDonnell <mcdonnell.j...@comcast.net> wrote:Regarding the recommendation for
using shorter tapes, what I had always been lead to understand is that the
longer tapes put more of a load on the tape motor, so it can run a bit slower.
That was for computer specific data cassette decks. Not sure if that holds true
with a standard deck also.-------- Original message --------From: Bill Miranda
<bill.mira...@gmail.com> Date: 7/20/21  7:16 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:
m...@bitchin100.com Subject: Re: [M100] Cassette woes The only normal bias
tapes I have are C60 tapes. I know some of the books I read on Archive.org say
that C20 is the recommended length. Have you had success with C60 tapes or are
these too long?Thanks for the info. I’ve learned a lot about the cassettes from
this group.  I just wish I could get it to work! BillOn Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at
5:53 PM Brian K. White <b.kenyo...@gmail.com> wrote:Yes "sound on" can rob some
of the signal and/or make it less distinct,
so the computer has more trouble reading it. That was just for initial
testing to verify that the signal is actually reaching the 100. Once you
have verified that there is nothing obviously wrong with the signal like
it's missing entirely or has scratchy corruption like from dirty
contacts or broken wires or dirty volume pot, or is very muffled and
dull like from excessively dirty read head or missing felt pad in the
cassette itself, then you no longer want sound on for actual reading.

In there I just reminded myself something to check: The felt or foam pad
in the cassette that presses the tape to the head. They are very often
fallen off and lost from the adhesive drying out after 20-30 years.

If you got "file found" but the file was ignore, I think that might just
be a matter of matching up the file name at CSAVE time and at CLOAD time.

When you CLOAD you specify a filename, and it ignores any files on the
tape that don't match.

In general, I've had perfectly expected results with tape. Meaning,
there is a bit of trial & error dialing-in the right volume setting to
get it working the first time, and with every new tape or tape player,
but it's really been no problem, on several different machines and tape
players.

It just doesn't work all by itself like a disk drive does. You just have
to be aware of a few things and you are a little more a part of the
process. Like you the human are one of the components in the system,
detecting and adjusting for several potential sources of variation in
other parts of the system.

Like checking the sound quality with SOUND ON, and testing a few
different volume levels to figure out that "this particular player, with
most tapes, with fresh batteries, and talking to this particular M100,
the best volume setting is 7." and you find "7" by testing methodically
from definitely too-low like 5, all the way to 10, and noting the lowest
and the highest settings that still work, and using a setting from the
middle of that range most of the time. And then deviating from that
sometimes if some particular tape is recorded a little softer or louder
or is worn from being played a lot, or maybe the sweet spot is a little
different on rechargeable batteries (1.2v), vs alkoline batteries
(1.5v), vs using the wall power for the player, or for the 100 too for
that matter. One M100 might be a little more of less sensitive than
another due to slight variations in some of the components and things
like caps aging over time, and things like how one M100 might come from
a an early manufacturing run and another might come from much later
after some revisions and component supplier changes, or one may have
spent the last 35 years in a hot environment or in an environment that
cycles hot & cold a lot, and another might have spent the last 35 years
in a very stable and cool environment.

But even with all those sources of potential variation, it still
actually works pretty well. So I think there is just some relatively
simple thing you just haven't found yet. It still might be anything like
maybe you're still doing something wrong, or some problem with the
player that you don't realize because you don't have 5 other players to
compare against. The first player I got off ebay  didn't work either
(but it didn't work at all, no sound at all), and by now I've gotten 4
or 5 more and at least one of those was bad too. They are all very old
by now and so every one you get might be bad, and it might be only a
little bit bad where it seems to work and make noise, but it's not
accurate enough to actually function for data. Could be slipping old
weak belts, could be degraded caps in the player making weak
amplification or not filtering out hum, could be the speed has drifet
too far out of spec too fas ot too slow or too irregular. It's not like
brand new ones where you can safely assume that if it isn't smashed in
pieces and it works at all, then it's working perfectly within all specs.

In this case I'm guessing you're actually >< this close to working and
it's just something like getting the file name part right, or maybe the
felt pad in the cassette etc.