Hi all,

A year or so ago someone announced that they were looking at getting new
Zebra strips made for the M100. A few months ago, I came across an NEC
PC-8201 LCD module I was pretty sure would be fixed with new strips as I
could see a defect in one of them. When I tried to contact the individual
who was working on getting strips made, I got no response. Another M100
friend also tried and got no response. I hope that with all the issues with
the world in the last few years he is OK.

Last fall I started working on a memory upgrade for the Casio VX-4 pocket
computer (which fits several Casio models) and found myself in need of
getting some zebra strips made. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with a
company who makes zebra strips to order and had some made for the Casio PCB.
When I needed to place another order with them earlier this year and I had
not heard back from the chap who had been working on new M100 strips I took
the chance on getting a small number of M100 zebra strips made.

I was able to fix the PC-8201 LCD with the new strips and a friend was able
to combine parts of a few bad LCD modules with the new zebra strips and make
one good functioning unit. So, the new strips worked fine, and I ordered 100
sets to start with. We'll see how far this lot goes and I'll order more in
if needed. I have them up on my website at the link below.

There are a few tricks for a successful LCD module surgery. While the LCD
glass is symmetric, i.e. you can rotate it 180 degrees and it will still
work, the polarizing film is not. You must keep the glass in the same
orientation in the frame. The LCD glass is also NOT centered in the frame.
If the PCB is facing you and the ribbon cable is to your right the LCD glass
will be in the lower right corner of the frame. I'll do a video soon showing
how to install them. I have a T102 LCD I need to dig out which I thought had
a bad row in the glass. I had rotated the glass 180 and the row moved so I
was sure it was the glass, but it recently occurred to me that if I kept the
zebra strips on the same edge of the glass and there was a bad spot in one
strip it would cause the missing row to move too. We'll see if new strips
fix it.

Link: https://www.soigeneris.com/trs-80-model-100-lcd-zebra-strips

Jeff Birt (Hey Birt!)