On 7/15/22 17:49, David Anderson wrote:
The A&J Microdrive was made by a company spun off from Exatron, who made the
“stringy floppy” cassettes. The Wafadrive is the same mechanism, but made by BSR,
who had a stake in Exatron, I think. It’s been a while.

Anyway, the drives and cassettes are kind of hard to come by. They show up on
the bay once in a while.

David

Yeah, I found a little more info, A&J spun off from Exatron, and they made a drive with the same microdrive name for the Sinclair that did still use the same stringy floppy drive & tape, but then BSR made a slightly different drive later and that's what this and the Rotronics Wafadrive has.

It's this:
https://ftp.whtech.com/club100/doc/p100-8604.pdf
pg 33

I also found an old mail list post where someone described the same drive I have right down to the peculiar battery wiring inside, although it's not as peculiar as they thought, but at first glance it looks like what they said. It's a 4xAA holder with 2 cells that don't look connected but they are. It's just an odd 2->3->4->1 arrangement where the link from 4's pos over to 1's neg is hidden. The arrangement makes it so that the + and - for the pack come out together at one corner instead of at opposite ends of the pack. And there is a tap at the +1.5v point, but that tap is connected to a via labelled GND, and has continuity with another point marked GND, but neither of those are continuous with what looks like the ground pour, which the overall pack neg is connected to. So the pack is not producing +1.5 and +6.0, it's producing -1.5 and +4.5? Ahh, corroboration, I found a pin labelled VEE which is on that "ground pour", and it has continuity with the pack negative pin. So it's a VEE pour at -1.5v after all. (I'm only looking at this by eye and testing continuity, not powered up.)

That tap is super annoying. I WAS going to rig up some battery blanks or just alligator clips or J-grabbers or something and run a wire out through a gap in the back cover that's already there at the serial cable grommet, so that I would never actually put batteries inside it and close it up like I found it. But now that's out the window. Well, since I may never find a tape for it anyway, I guess I'm safe.

Another odd thing about that tap is it's just thin wrapping wire. Even though it's going to "GND", still the bulk of the current (one would hope) must be going via the packs normal main pins, so, something, the motor I guess at least, must be running on the full 6v differential and drawing the most current that way, even though there is a gnd reference at -1.5 gnd +4.5. So, even if I wanted to go so far as to rig up 2 little buck converters, I have to worry about the end to end 6v differential too not just producing two outputs just wired so one ends up being negative? I guess it shouldn't really change anything, maybe it's no real worry.