Okay, I've written a program which uses the method I proposed above for
first allocating space for a .CO file via *SAVEM* and then POKEing directly
into it. (As opposed to what I believe is the usual method of clearing
space in RAM, poking memory to the RAM buffer, and then saving a copy to a
new .CO file.)

Surprisingly, it works! Or rather, I *think* it works. I haven't blown up
anything on my Tandy 200 (yet).

Can people check my work and tell me if I'm doing something silly before I
release a program that ends up POKEing bytes into the wrong places?

On the Bitchin100 wiki, John mentioned sometimes needing to call the *LNKFIL
<https://bitchin100.com/wiki/index.php?title=Low_Level_Filesystem_Access#LNKFIL>*
ROM routine at 2146H in order to fix up the links to the files in the RAM
Directory. I'm imagining one might have an existing .CO file which has to
be resized during *SAVEM*, causing its address in RAM to change. If that
happened and the RAM Directory wasn't updated, it would be disastrous.

However, I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that *SAVEM* itself calls
*LNKFIL* on all the different Model T / NEC / Kyocera / Olivetti platforms.
I can see that is true for the Model 100 by looking at Ken Petit's ROM
disassembly
<http://www.club100.org/memfiles/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=m100_dis_2013.txt&directory=Ken+Pettit%2FM100+ROM+Disassembly>.
(Although, oddly, the comment only mentions line addresses in BASIC
programs.)

For the other variants, I looked to Z88dk's disassembly, although I do not
know how trustworth it is. In particular, I checked the unified disassembly
for the Kyotronic K-85, Olivetti M10, and TRS-80 Model 100
<https://github.com/z88dk/techdocs/blob/master/targets/m100/m100.asm>.
While it uses different nomenclature — *RESFPT
<https://github.com/z88dk/techdocs/blob/master/targets/m100/m100.asm#L8230>*
("reset file pointers") instead of *LNKFIL* — it seems to indicate that,
just like in Ken Petit's M100 disassembly, the K-85 and M10 also reset the
file pointers after saving a .CO file to RAM.  For the NEC PC-8201
<https://github.com/z88dk/techdocs/blob/master/targets/m100/pc8201.asm>,
Z88dk has a disassembly that is not as polished (many of the routines are
named things like "GETWORD_294"), but, again, appears to have *__BSAVE*
<https://github.com/z88dk/techdocs/blob/master/targets/m100/pc8201.asm#L6902>
calling *RESFPT_0*.

So, at least on the Model 100, K-85, M10, and PC-8201 this method should be
safe. I have not checked the disassembly for the Tandy 102, Tandy 102 UK,
Tandy 200, M10 US, PC-8201A, or PC-8300 — or any of the other Kyocera
Sisters I may have forgotten — but I feel reasonably confident that they
will be derivatives of the source I have already looked at.

What do you all think? This method lets programmers create binary files
without duplicating them first in RAM which means the files can be almost
twice as large. Have I done due diligence in ensuring the technique is
safe? Is there something important I'm missing? (There often is.)

Please let me know. Thanks,

—b9