Hi all,

A lot of folks have been asking when more Backpack drives will be available.
As you know the chip shortage has made some parts impossible to obtain,
including the microcontroller used in the original Backpack. My friend that
designed the original Backpack found a newly released AVR processor that was
actually available and designed the Backpack Drive Plus, or BPD+ if you
prefer. It looks the same and works the same with a slightly lower current
draw from the battery. He also made a number of adapters to use the Backpack
with computers like the WP2, Sinclair Z88, Epson HX-20, Epson PX-8. The
Epson's have a separate firmware to simulate the original Epson disk drives.

We had a waiting list of folks who had asked for one and have worked through
that list so now ordering is open to the public. We are still 3D printing
cases and finishing the units up. If the stock level shows zero, try again
in a few days. When we run out, I will note that on the webpage.

https://www.soigeneris.com/tandy-tpdd-2-backpack-drive-2

Jeff Birt