I tend to use whatever compiler I have on my computer that works with 4.5+
ish (I think). But I wouldn't try to hard to find an old compiler or move
to an older framework.  Most of this stuff is a free download.

Maximize the number of people that can compile my version without trouble
or recreating the project files.

I don't need new features for console apps. And if they eventually break
something it will probably be serial stuff I need that few app devs use.

If you're using newer features, frameworks and libraries that's a different
story.

-- John