You can 100% accomplish this using an affordable PAP2T ATA connected to
either a local asterisk (free PBX software) or remote asterisk server over
ethernet.
This can be run entirely virtualised - no special hardware other than
either a "landline" or the pap2t. (ill get to rotary later..)

The PAP2T and asterisk can provide ulaw to allow 300bps connections. Yes,
running a local asterisk is far more stable than trying to connect to one
remotely, but ive done it!
I have a setup functioning to 4800 baud for faster modems as well.

The rotary element will likely need a pulse to tone adapter, lots of
options for that, I use a PBX and I also have a few purpose devices new and
old.

You can easily have a BBS software or custom *NIX program to interface, and
with the various termcap things in this group that have been shared, you
can get a viable connection.