I was looking at the disasssembled TELCOM source today, and it seems there’s
almost a kilobyte devoted to looking up and dialing phone numbers that could be
ditched, which has me thinking that it shouldn’t be too cramped to add hardware
handshaking and maybe even XMODEM once that (and ADDRSS and SCHEDL, another 333
bytes of dead weight) are ripped out of the ROM.

Has anyone tried anything like this? I know about HTERM, but I want to maintain
modem functionality and I don’t care that much about VT emulation.

—m.a