I've never had any problems at 19.2K using Windows so, as John
suggests. there may be Linux-specific issues.

There are buffers in most if not all USB-RS232 adapters and also in
the program on the PC at the other end, and sometimes these need to be
tuned a bit. When I send a 25K file from TeraTerm to an M100, TeraTerm
finishes in 1/2 minute or so, but the M100 still receives data for
another minute.

And don't forget that TEXT is usually effectively faster for
transferring files since it doesn't have to display or scroll.