Actually, weight is not the first criteria the post office considers in determining postage. Size and thickness are the first criteria. If an envelope is too thick (you may have seen the device they have with a small slit in it - the envelope has to fit through the slit), then it will require more postage because it is considered non- machineable. Their aim is to have everything that is mailed be processed by machine (or have you pay extra for having a human interact with it somewhere along the line).

Reid