Malaysia's Chief monk critically ill
The Star/Buddhist Channel, August 30, 2006
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia -- The Chief Monk of Malaysia and Singapore Venerable
Dr K. Sri Dhammananda, 87, is critically ill and has been in a private hospital
in Petaling Jaya for more than a week. The public however, is advised not to
visit him at the hospital.

<< Ven. Dhammananda: Has been in a private hospital for over a week

He has been on tube feeding for about six weeks following a stroke.

"He is very weak and we have asked the doctors to help him fight on. He flew
back from Singapore last Monday after three weeks at the Mount Elizabeth
Hospital where he sought treatment after a second mild stroke.

Instead of returning to the Buddhist Maha Vihara in Brickfields, he requested
to be readmitted to a hospital," said Rev K. Dhammaratana, deputy chief monk of
the temple.

Rev Dhammananda is the chief monk of Buddhist Maha Vihara. Affectionately
referred to as Chief Reverend, he has been involved in Buddhist missionary work
for 54 years.

Meanwhile the Buddhist Channel reports that Mr. Sarath Surendre, President of
the Sasana Abhiwurdhi Wardhana Society, have requested the public not to make
visits to the private hospital where the Chief venerable is currently
recuperating.

The numerous visitors he said had disrupted the venerable's much needed rest.
Mr Surendre also said that the hospital's administrators have requested
Buddhist representatives to inform the public not to camp at the hospital as
space there was limited.

"We understand the devotee's concern for our much beloved Chief Venerable,"
said Mr Surendre, "but for the venerable's sake as well as to maintain public
order at the hospital, we implore the people to be considerate."

Mr Surendre also advised that "if devotees are really concerned for the
venerable, they are encouraged to radiate thoughts of loving kindness (metta)
to him."

He requested the media to play the role as responsible information provider as
unfounded rumours have been circulating about the health situation of the
venerable.

The Buddhist Channel has been assigned as the official media to disseminate
information relating to the latest situation of the venerable. Information will
also be distributed via emails and SMS.

For the latest updates, please log on to http://www.BuddhistChannel.tv.

** MABINDO - Forum Diskusi Masyarakat Buddhis Indonesia **

** Kunjungi juga website global Mabindo di http://www.mabindo.org **
Yahoo! Groups Links