To: "Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility" <mac-access@mac-access.net>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 11:37 AM
Subject: Re: pc vs mac

Hello

First, please let's stay away from the discussion of Windows; that's not what this group is about. I understand why you mentioned it in the context of your question and that's fine. I just wouldn't like to see a discussion on the future of Microsoft or their products on this list.

Here's a bit of advice for whatever it is worth for you from somebody who has full vision; but also has a passionate interest in accessibility as I am married to a blind person.

First, don't draw comparisons. When you get your Mac and start using it, forget about Windows and how everything worked. If you stop expecting things to happen in a certain way when you perform a certain action because that's how it is with Windows, you'll find things easier.

OS X is quite different from Windows; but the basics of the GUI are similar. But there are lots of things to help you with the transition and many of them can be found on this list if, and this is important, you let go of prejudices and preconceptions. This isn't personal comment, it is generic. But I encourage you to make the swap. My blind husband is one of those who have, and he is now at the level where he's heavily involved as a professional systems administrator for a growing company which is reliant on Macs throughout the business owing to the Mac's superiority in the specific fields of interest and also in network performance. Gordon now doesn't touch Windows except for the rare occasions he needs to do Braille transcription on a large scale.

I hope that at least some of that will help you. But please don't be afraid to use this list to ask questions. You'll never be flamed or ridiculed; that kind of behaviour isn't tolerated in this group.

Lynne