Hello James,

These are not paid upgrades, and are downloadable. Apple refers to these as
"premium" voices. Simply go to the VoiceOver Utility with VO-F8, select the
Speech category, then tab to the Default voice pop up button. Select
"Customize…" and you will be able to select any of the available voices to show
in the Default voice pop up by checking and unchecking boxes.

It is also worth noting that you do not need to go into the VoiceOver Utility
to download them. As these are compatible with any application using speech,
you can also get them by going into System Preferences, clicking Speech then
selecting the Text To Speech Tab and clicking "Customize…"

Regards,
Nic