Apple has always had this disease and I do call it a disease but
then a lot of businesses operate as if this was smart
management. My introduction to the world of computing was in
February of 1979 at a store that sold the Apple II. Every slight
rearrangement of the system was heralded with the kind of
secrecy usually reserved for nuclear launch sequences and the
cracking of enemy codes. Now those things make sense being
secret, but the idea of moving 3 or 4 ROM chips from the
Applesoft ROM card for floating-point basic down to the mother
board was once treated with words like confidential. It was just
stupid and 6 months later, didn't amount to a hill of beans
worth of difference.

        When my wife bought her iphone last year, the G4 had
just come out but the store that sold her the phone gave her the
option of buying one of the last 32-gigabyte G3's for about $100
off or going ahead with the G4 at, of course, full price.

        She chose the last G3 and isn't the least bit sorry.
It's not as if it was a "bag phone" from 1984.

        It's, of course, up to you, but you should communicate
your displeasure as customers ultimately are the only reason
Apple stays in business.

        We used to have a sports announcer for "Monday Night
Football" and one of his favorite expressions when someone had
created the ideal situation for himself, was to say, "He's in
the cat bird's seat."

        A lot of businesses do whatever they damn well please
until enough people call them out about it and then they
grudgingly moderate their behavior.

"Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith" writes:
> Hello Rose
>
> This is the problem, I thin, with Apple's paranoia regarding secrecy. One
> can trawl around the rumour sites; but one doesn't always get accurate
> information from there. Yes; I know how you feel. But in our case it was
> less than 48 hours. We are contemplating just trying to arrange an RMA
> and getting a refund then we can re-order. But the problem is that would
> take weeks. They take 10 working days to process refunds.
>
> Lynne

        Good luck. That does sound like a raw deal.

You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the
Mac-Access forum at the following URL: