Hi Paul,

The Voiceover Settings activity is meant to be your default activity for
applications where no other activity is being used. Changes you make in the
Voiceover utility itself are saved to the voiceover settings activity. In other
words, you do not need a separate default activity. Just set the settings that
you wish in the main voiceover utility. Then, when you are setting up your
activities, the only settings that you need to set up are those that you want
to be different from the defaults.

For example, I have everything just the way I like it in VoiceOver utility.
From there, I created my first activity called web. I turned on single key
navigation and set it to use QuickNav by default. Now when I go into safari,
everything else is the same as the Voiceover settings activity, except for the
few things that I specifically changed.

This is one of the things I miss most since going back to snow leopard, and I
can't wait to come back to Lion when the next update comes out and fixes some
things.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Justin