Hi James and All,
Bad form to reply to my own message, but I thought you might want to know that
I just did some more experiments with versions.  I was able to restore to an
older one and copy and paste from an older one into my current document.  Nifty
accessibility, if a little confusing at first.  Apple has my thanks.
Hope this helps,
Zack.