Hi Paul,

Okay, lets explain how mail protocols work.

There is 2 protocols to receive mail and one protocol to send. These are the
common protocols:

Imap
The mail is left on the mail server. Permits you to access it from multiple
accounts.

POP3
Most mail clients will automatically delete the message from the mail server.
The apple mail client permits you to have a time period of leaving the
messages. Once the mail is deleted from the server, it is gone.

SMPT
This is the protocol  used to send your message to the mail server.

The settings used are completely different for each protocol. You can only
configure the receiving protocols (pop3 and IMap) and not configure SMPT.

NOte, I discovered this by having mail problems when trying to send messages
via my ISP when I was not connected to their network. I had valid configuration
for the smpt. But I could receive mail but not send when I was on a different
network. I have resolved this issue. But you don't have to have a valid smpt
configuration.

Just be careful with how you delete the messages in the account settings.

Sean