Hi Gordon,

Well, the real issue is that even the speech engines try to substitute on a lot
of occasions, such as abbreviations, date formats, etc. VoiceOver does not have
control over this, as which substitutions are being used depends entirely on
the synthesizer that you use. I like abbreviations, if the speech gets them
right if there are multiple instances of the same abbreviation which means
something different, however, it'd be nice to actually be able to control which
ones are used based on the speech engine that you use or even let VoiceOver
control this aspect. Unfortunately, where Apple has actually done the most
damage is when using letters like æ, ø and å where they have replaced the
pronunciation in the original Vocalizer speech engine with the Apple
translation from English straight to Danish, so that ø for example becomes "o
with slash" if translated.. The actual engine does this correctly, but Apple
for some reason seemed to want to change this, and telling them how it should
be is an effort in futility.

I used to love ALex, but in Lion I just can't get used to him. He doesn't
pronounce things that different now, but it's just the gruff tone in his voice
in general that I don't like. I find his speech more flowing, but even so, the
gruff tone puts me off. A friend of mine described him as a "kind preacher"
which kind of amused me but I found myself agreeing with that statement in the
end.

I will say that I wish we had a lot more control over how things are spoken.
While we do have a Pronunciation Editor, it does not permit you to edit
abbreviations for the voices and I suppose for a good reason. it would still be
nice to switch it off, or even select which ones you'd want to use even if you
were unable to edit.

Regards,
Nic