Maybe we should go after the true problem, and that is the text to
speech writers.  It isn't just apple and apple voices.  My windows
voices from ivona and the Kate and Paul voices that come with Kurzweil
1000 do this too.

If there is a generic string that the screen reader can send to the
synthesizer to turn that functionality off, that is what is really
needed.

I remember Vocal-eyes for dos had a command where you could send escape
sequences to the synthesizer if you knew them modifying this behavior.
vo could have a check box expand abbreviations then send the sequence to
the synthesizer turning them on or off.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:20:27 +0100
Gordon Smith <gor...@mac-access.net> wrote:

> Hello Sarah
>
> The point here, even if you can modify the pronunciation dictionaries is that
> you shouldn't have too.  The screen-reader should read what is present on
> screen not what somebody else thinks was meant.
>
> On 30 Aug 2011, at 16:17, Sarah Alawami wrote:
>
> You can just edit the dictionary and see  if that works. I do that a a lot.
> for words the tI know it will mispronounce, like my name lol! and it read the
> dates and times correctly in that message btw and I"m using the default
> voices.

-
The home of the Mystic Place blog and podcast.
http://www.mysticplace.info