Hi Paul,

This one is a puzzler, but it sounds as though you might be using Preview to
make changes in a graphics file using the Tools menu.  Alternatively, could you
be opening a file that is corrupted, or not really a supported file type?  If
the file is on an external volume that is not writable, make sure that you
leave any windows that point there. (For example, on an externally mounted hard
drive, I sometimes navigate down to a directory in a Terminal window.)

What happens if you force quit the app, and then go to the affected file(s) in
question and select it to open by default in some other app, like Skim?  Can
you check with the Activity Monitor that Preview is not running at all after
you force quit?

I assume that you tried restarting your machine and also clearing out caches?
I've found that in some instances I can fix problems by booting into Safe Mode,
which moves problem caches, including font caches that can be a problem for
Preview, into the Trash.  I believe that Martin McCormick has used this, and
also reported that he was able to log into the machine via SSH past a certain
point.

The problem with safe mode boot is that audio is disabled, so you can't run
VoiceOver. However, I've been able to fix some problems by just booting into
Safe Mode, and then restarting my machine after I've done this, without having
to actually access the system under Safe Mode.  You hold down the Shift key
when the system boots up, and the boot process takes longer to do than usual,
because a directory check of the startup volume is forced as part of the
process.

Here's the Apple Document about booting Mac OS X into Safe Mode:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

A google check indicates that Safe Mode should still work under Lion.
Sorry not to have more thoughts about this.

Cheers,

Esther