Hi Michael,

As Geoff indicated, iPhone apps for local public transportation depend a lot on
the details of location, and even in the U.S., NextBus doesn't serve all areas.
 Arrival time information and locations are only available if the bus systems
in question have been fitted out with this kind of broadcasting information.
However, a common solution is to set a route point at the stop before you need
to get off.  You can find out bus stops in the vicinity either using  the free
AroundMe app or the Where To? app, which supplies even more information.  Both
of these are helper applications that can send destinations to Navigon, TomTom,
or the default Maps app.

I think that when I tried Where To? and tried to set for a UK location, it also
reference the transportdirect.info web site for general route planning,  The
link to the page for buses is:
http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/FindBusInput.aspx

(I did find that somewhat clunky to use and input source and destination, but
it's possible to make it work, and I suppose it may be easier if you actually
live there.)

For London, I know that U.S. apps like HopStop can do route planning for
combined public transport means. And there are probably a host of apps and web
sites specific to that city.  I think there's a general route planning app for
the south and east of Britain called Traveline South & East:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/traveline-south-east/id369553999?mt=8
and there's another by the same developer called "NextBuses" that claims to
cover 370,000 buses in England, Scotland, and Wales with information on when
your next bus is due:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nextbuses/id362006676?mt=8
I have no information on the effectiveness or accessibility of these apps --
they just came up in searching.

Your best bet is to get information from someone using such apps in your own
vicinity.  I can only add that in my vicinity, Navigon doesn't pull up bus
stops, so I get them from Where To? and save them.

There's also an app called Get Off Now! that some VoiceOver users have used.
There is both a lite  free version and a paid version:
• Get Off Now!-Predictive GPS Alarm (Lite)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-off-now!-lite-predictive/id431512003?mt=8
• Get Off Now!-Predictive GPS Alarm ($0.99)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-off-now!-predictive-gps/id415576580?mt=8

HTH to get you started.  Cheers,

Esther