Hello,
I have been playing with the free app "Get iPlayer Automator" on Lion 10.7.1
and have successfully downloaded and played both radio and TV content from the
BBC. Google "iPlayer Automator" to download it.

There is very little documentation but the following works....

First you must change the default preferences. Under General Preferences set
Proxy to None and choose a download path rather than use the default path. YOu
might also want to change the types of content which can be downloaded by
checking the desired boxes for example to add BBC Radio.

Now type a program name into the search string. I tried it with "Horizon" (TV)
which resulted in several episodes of Horizon being displayed in the search
results. I chose one of these and then pressed the "Add to queue" button. I
also tried "Today" (Radio) with similar results.

next go to the Toolbar and press the "Start" button. The requested episode of
Horizon and Today will start downloading into the folder you specified when you
chose the download path.

YOu can then locate the desired episode and press Command+DownArrow to open it
and presto the episode starts playing!

I have only spent a couple of hours on this and there are several other options
to be explored. It is all accessible. The provided proxy probably allows users
outside the UK to download content. Other options suggest you can add a program
you have located via Safari (for example a program with Audio Description) to
the download queue. Other options suggest you can arrange to automatically
download episodes of your favourite programs as they become available. Note
that I have not tried any of these which might or might not do what their
titles imply.

Have fun and keep us posted on anything you learn....

Paul Hopewell