Hi Gordon,

Try a tool called iCHM to read you CHM files:
http://code.google.com/p/ichm/
Download the 1.4.3 version for Mac OS X 10.6 and above: iChm.1.4.3.zip  There
is also a CHM reader tool for the iPhone based on the same code that is
supposed to be mostly accessible. You can check out the free Lite version to be
sure:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ichm-lite-chm-reader/id299499859?mt=8
The Lite version will work if you only keep one CHM file at a time.

HTH.  I haven't used these tools myself, but some VoiceOver users have reported
that these work.

Cheers,

Esther