Simplenote sounds pretty much what I need then.

I use Notesy quite a bit at the present time and like you I'm not all that
fussed about formatting, in my case the ability to print from my Ipad would be
handy and Simplenote will provide this given what you've written below.

If I want formatted documents then I'd use a word processor surely! and as far
as I know on the IOS platform? Word Processing is not a viable option right
now, if what I understand is still the case then there are no accessible word
processing apps out there yet for IOS.

Anyway getting back to the subject of notes, like you I'm quite happy to use
text given that most of my notes at present are to do with reference material,
shopping lists and.. well.. anything else that has to be noted.  Using Notesy
and Dropbox I'm able to turn my notes into something bigger using the power of
the computers here should I need to but I'm going to take a look at Simplenote
all the same.

Instapaper is a God send, how I could have lived without that service for all
these years I just don't know <smile>.