Jame

Press and hold the sleep/home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds.
Then release the sleep button but keep the home button pressed.  Plug the iPad
into the machine with the home button pressed.  After a few seconds release the
home button.

iTunes should tell you that it has found an iPad in recovery mode and offer you
the chance to restore it.

Gordon