Hi Jane,

I'm appending the keyboard combinations you want to type Spanish accented
letters with the Option key combinations.

Accented characters on the regular Mac keyboard

For accents and more common special characters, using
the Option key in combination with the Control, Command, and Shift
keys give many of the necessary characters.  If I need to type special
characters as part of names, I'll use the Option key method to
generate accents:

acute accent - Option-e
grave accent - Option-accent sign (on an English input keyboard, this
is the leftmost key below escape and above tab)
circumflex accent - Option-i
diaeresis - Option-u
tilde - Option-n

This group are "dead keys".  You need to type the accented letter
after the Option+letter combination, so to type an "e" with an acute
accent you press the Option+e keys, release, and then type the letter
"e". If you press "Return" without typing a letter, you simply get
the accent mark.

For punctuation marks:
inverted exclamation mark       Option+1
inverted question mark  Option+Shift+slash (Shift+/ is question
mark)

HTH. Cheers,

Esther