Geoff -- If you're not able to get the desired results using Esther's great
instructions, here's an idea that falls somewhere in-between fixing it yourself
and having sighted assistance. Since you now have an iPhone 4S, this means you
also have the ability to make Facetime video calls. Perhaps you could initiate
such a call with a sighted person who has a facetime compatible Mac or iDevice,
aim your iPhone's facetime camera at the screen of your Mac, and let the person
on the other end give you visual feedback as you work your way through to
system prefs to select the correct output device. I think this also might be
possible using the latest version of Skype for iPhone, but I'm not positive of
that.

HTH,
Bryan

On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Esther wrote:

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Do you have a test account set up on your MBP that you can log into?  You
> stated "I get sound output through the headphone jack only but as soon as I
> log on it stops.  Resetting the pran restored my start-up sound, but the
> problem persists."  Resetting the PRAM as Bryan suggested fixes system wide
> sound problems.  Since you lose sound upon logging into your account, I'd
> suspect that one of your preference files may be corrupted.  One way to check
> that out is by logging into another user account on your machine and checking
> to see whether the same problem occurs there.  If it doesn't, then you know
> that it's likely to be due to something individual to your account's setup --
> most likely a corrupted preference file.  I create a user account on my Mac
> just to use for testing whether problems or changes in behavior arise due to
> my local account settings or whether these are due to system-wide behavior.
>
> Do you only have the recovery partition, or do you also have a bootable clone
> of your setup under Lion?  If you have a clone that you made with Carbon Copy
> Cloner or SuperDuper! after you upgraded to Lion, you can attach that drive
> and boot up a working system from your clone.  Just hold down the option key
> when you power up.  What will happen is that you'll be presented with a
> choice of boot volumes to use for startup, with your regular hard drive
> selected by default.  VoiceOver won't be speaking at this point until you
> actually boot, but if you press your right arrow key followed by the return
> key, you'll switch to the next bootable volume and start up from there once
> you press return.  If you only have one other bootable disk attached it
> doesn't matter whether you press the left or right option key to switch to
> the clone, however, some people buy one large disk, partition it, and put all
> their clone backups onto a single drive.    Apart from the possibility of a
> single p
 oi