Hi Caitlyn!
You do have to convert them to AAC in Itunes!
But that's not the end of it!
And you'll have to do them one at a time!
Also if you have Amadayous that can also export as m4r's
But back to Itunes
After putting them into itunes go to the most recently added playlist and
select the first one to convert!
Open vo+shift+m and go to create AAC version and vo space on it!
[to help if you haven't already got it] with command+j in the songs list, make
sure the kind check box is checked!
And now in the track info you can see which ones are .mid or AAC or others!
Well you should have to versions of that track!
Find the AAC version and use command+shift+r to show in finder!
Press enter on the name which should end .m4a and interact then go to the end
and delete the [a] and replace it with [r] and press enter again!
You'll get a message to ask you about this change select the keep m4r option!
Now before doing anything else go back to Itunes and remove the AAC version the
whole thing so when Itunes asks you if you want to keep the file, remove that
as well!
Now command tab back to your renamed one!
And just command+o on it!
[If your default player is Itunes] the track will play and you'll now see it in
the ringtones playlist!
You have to remove the AAC version before playing the m4r because Itunes
remembers the previous version and will council out your m4r apparently!
Sorry for the long post but when you've done a few, it does not take to long!
hth Colin