Hello Bill,
If you previusly used Snow Leopard with VoiceOver you should have no major
problem moving to Lion. Set your mail to classic view and that will work much
the same as before. iCal is rather different and in my view better. If you use
that let me know and I will tell you more. Version suport has been added to
TextEdit and some other applications which changes the way you do save as. One
good thing about Lion is the large choice of voices for VoiceOver. It is
certainly not like having to learn the mac all over again.

I have an iPhone 3GS which I upgraded to IOS 5. the upgrade process was a bit
nerve racking but after that it worked much the same as before. One thing which
caught me out was that you no longer do three finger left and right swipes to
change the home pages. Instead you swipe up and down on a control which
contains the page number. Again you should have no real problem migrating.

I am now using iCloud to sync my contacts, safari bookmarks, and calendar
between Lion and the iPhone 3GS. that is very useful and works well.

All the best....

Paul Hopewell