Hello Paul,

Programs typically register with Growl after they have launched. This means
that in order to re-register them, you must close and reopen them for the files
that send the registrations to act on it. Most of the time applications are
smart enough to figure this out, but it's not always the case that it works.
Growl usually shows all registered applications in the Applications tab in
Growl preferences, but since 1.3, these are no longer reachable with VoiceOver.
This is in part because Growl is no longer allowed to use status bar icons to
implement preferences, and because you cannot reach these third-party status
bar icons using the mouse under 10.7. I'm still not sure how high of a priority
making the actual API available to VoiceOver is for Apple, but it seems like it
should be pretty important given that more and more applications are making use
of them. The mouse used to be a workaround, but we shouldn't have to use
workarounds to do something you can do perfectly well usin
 g Voiceover commands with Apple's own icons.

I don't think there is a paid version of Growl 1.3 you can get off of their
site, but if there is now, that one probably still retains the System
Preferences pane. When setting up Growl 1.3 for the first time, it asks if you
wish to configure the settings. That does open the settings for Growl, but
that's probably the only time you get to play with them. I'll admit that the
inability to configure the settings caused me to remove it, but I should have
figured the preference pane would have been removed due to App Store guidelines.

If anyone's found a sneaky way around this enforced limitation, let me know.

Regards,
Nicolai