Thank you.  I didn't realize that command existed.  There.  Now my Applications
folder is right where it ought to be--in alphabetical order alongside the other
folders. :)

I tend to remove items from the dock that I don't use frequently, and that's
been all the stuff I downloaded from the App Store.  It's not for me, most of
it, it's for my daughter, so I don't need it on the dock.

Thanks again.

Jane