Hi Lyn and Kristeen,

I'm not sure I have a solution for you if you only connect to one wifi network,
but I can describe a generally recommended fix. Are you running Lion? The
location profile is the name assigned to your network setup, and is probably
set to "Automatic".  If you navigate to the Apple menu on your menu bar (either
VO-M or Control-F2 to move to the "Apple Menu"), then arrow down and press "L",
you'll find the "Location" menu entry.  Pressing your right arrow key will move
you to the submenu, and you'll probably find your first entry is "Automatic"
and is selected.  If you arrow down the submenu, you'll find entries for any
other location profiles you may have created, and if your press Command+Down
arrow, you'll move to the end of the Location submenu, which should be the
option to open "Network Preferences…".

You can create different location profiles for different network setups -- for
example, I have a separate one for my Father's Wi-Fi network.  Or I have
another profile named "Office" for the fixed IP ethernet connection at work.
The usual fixes for the sorts of problems you are seeing is to create a new
location profile for your network, in case the initial one has somehow been
corrupted, and try using that instead to see whether the problem goes away.  If
you are losing the connection on the same network that you usually use, but
only after your Mac goes to sleep, you can also try renewing the DHCP lease.

Here's a link to a recent OS X Daily article that outlines the steps to take.
They include applying all the latest software updates for Lion, and first
resetting your router (just power cycle it).  Then the suggestion is to try
creating a new network location and renewing your DHCP lease.  You can follow
the instructions of the article to launch "System Preferences" from the Apple
menu and select "Network", but I find it faster to simply navigate to the
"Network Preferences…" option at the end of the "Location" submenu, since this
will take you directly to the window you need without having to navigate more
menus.

The article is titled "Still Having Lion Wi-Fi Problems? This Solution Works":
http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/06/lion-wi-fi-problems-solution-mac/

Their suggestion is to create a new location profile for your network by
clicking the icon to add a new network connection.  My suggested version of how
to do this:

1. Press VO-M or Control-F2 to move to the Apple Menu
2. Arrow down and press "L" to move to the Location menu
3. Right arrow to the
"Location" submenu (you should hear VoiceOver announce the first item, probably
as "Automatic
" with a preceding check mark).
4. Command+Down arrow or arrow down to "Network Preferences…" at the end of the
Location submenu (you will pass the names of other location profiles if you
have created any); then press either VO-Space or Return to open the "Network
Preferences" menu of "System Preferences"
5. On the "Network" pane, first unlock the lock button with your Admin password
by using item chooser menu to go to the "Click the lock to make changes"
button. Press VO-I for item chooser menu, then type "b u t", for a list of
buttons, then type "l o c k" to locate the "Click to lock to make changes"
button, and VO-Space twice (once to move to the button and a second time to
click the button).
6. In the Authentication dialog window that is brought up, you'll be in the
password field.  Type in your Admin password and press Return to unlock the
button.
7. Use item chooser menu (VO-I) again and type "a d d" to locate and move to
the "Add Service" button. (Again, press VO-Space twice -- once to move to the
button from the item chooser menu, and a second time to press the button).
8. In the dialog window you'll be prompted to select the interface and enter a
name for the new service.  Set the pop up menu to "Airport" (which is probably
the default), and type a name of your choice in the text box for the service
name -- just something that is different from your existing location service
name of "Automatic"). Then navigate to the "Create" button and press it
(VO-Space).
9. On the  Network pane for the newly created service (announced in the pop up
button following "Location" at the start of the pane), navigate to the
"Advance…" button, and press it with VO-Space
10. Navigate with VO-Right arrow to the "DNS" tab and select it with VO-Space.
11. On the "DNS" tab navigate with VO-RIght arrow past the IP Address (if you
continue to navigate, there will be a series of numbers for the IP Address,
Subnet mask and router.  They will all be groups of four numbers separated by
periods.)   Navigate to the button for "Renew DHCP Lease" and press it with
VO-Space.
12. Navigate back (VO-Left arrow) to make sure the fields for IP Address,
Subnet mask, and Router contain numbers, since pressing the button to renew the
DHCP lease will cause these fields to update.
13. Once you have checked that these fields are populate, navigate to the "OK"
button at the end of the pane (either with VO-Right arrow or by pressing
VO-Fn-RIght Arrow to move to the end of the window) and press it with VO-Space.
14. You might want to navigate to the "Click the lock to prevent further
changes" button and lock it again (with VO-Space) before closing the Network
window with Command-W.

Read through the article at the linked URL, perform the updates, and see
whether this helps.  You'll now have two location profiles in your Location
submenu under the Apple menu.  See whether the new location profile behaves
better.  If it works, you can keep it and delete the old one.  You will have to
enter the password when you set up this location profile.

Write back and let us know whether that helps.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Nov 11, 2011, at 19:45, Lyn & her faithful furry friends wrote:

> Hi Esther,
>
> No I do  not change location profiles, in fact I do not even know what that
> is.  It just happens when I reopen the led in order to use my mac again after
> it's been to sleep.  I only connect to one wifi network.
>
> Thanks for your email anyway.
>
> Lyn, Canelle & Epi
>
> On Nov 11, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Esther wrote:
>
>> Hi Lyn,
>>
>> I can't suggest a fix, but I'll just ask if you use Wi-Fi and connect to
>> different Wi-Fi sites without changing your location profile.  What I've
>> noticed is that if I changed my internet connection type several times,
>> either by going between ethernet and Wi-Fi, or switching different Wi-Fi
>> locations, without changing location profile, that the behavior you outline
>> may occur if I've used my Mac laptop for some time without shutting down.
>> (And incidentally, I've only seen this behavior with my 2010 MacBook Pro,
>> and with a 2010 MacBook Air that I set up for someone else -- it never
>> happened on my 2008 MacBook.)  What is even odder, is that if I am using
>> terminal I can connect out of my laptop with ssh.  I just can't connect
>> through Safari, and if Safari doesn't connect, my mail won't update.  (I
>> don't have to force quit Safari -- a simple quit will do, but I do have to
>> reboot to get the network connection working again.)
>>
>> This doesn't seem to happen if I don't change my Wi-Fi source, or if I
>> create a separate location profile for each different Wi-Fi connection and
>> change location profiles.
>>
>> Maybe someone else on list can comment on a possible solution.
>>
>> HTH.  Cheers,
>>
>> Esther
>>

>> On Nov 10, 2011, at 19:26, Lyn & her faithful furry friends wrote:
>>
>>> Hello listers,
>>>
>>> I am having strange problems with my mac here.  Well, when I do not use my
>>> mac, I just put the led down and it goes to sleep.  However, when I  want
>>> to use my mac again, I am encountering strange problems.  When  my mac is
>>> out of sleep mode, I notice that the connection to my wifi network is lost.
>>>  Obviously I reconnect to the network  but even then I can't seem to be
>>> able to connect to the internet.  the mail program does not retrieve mail
>>> and safari needs to be forced to quit every time.  The only option I have
>>> is to restart my mac to get everything working again.  Any ideas as to what
>>> is going on here and how to fix this weird issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any tips and feedback.
>>>
>>> Have a good one,
>>>
>>> Lyn, canelle & Epi

>>> You can contact me in the following ways:
>>> email:
>>> helian...@mac-access.net
>>> msn:
>>> lyn.bordeau...@gmail.com