doing this by pen is far quicker. all you need is disk utility. when you've
downloaded the lion installer, right click and go to show package contents, go
to shared and there will be an "InstallESD.dmg file there, open it. this mounts
to the desktop. from there, open disk utility, load your pen drive, a a blank
one would be best, format it to mac OS X extended journaled . after this, go to
the restore tab. where it says source, drag the installesd.dmg from the left
pane where all your drives are listed to the source field, destination is your
pen drive. click restore. this creates the directory on the pen drive, when
finished, it mounts the new pen drive with the installer info.

when you reboot, hold down the option key and it will ask for which volume to
boot. select the pen drive, the reest's simple.

lew