Hi Roger,

VoiceOver's default behavior is to read the character you just navigated past,
so if you're using your right arrow key to navigate, then the character read
out is to the left of the cursor, and if you were using your left arrow key to
navigate, this would be the character to the right of the cursor.  The same
thing applies to navigating by words.  If I use Option+Right arrow to move over
the phrase "Hi Roger" by pressing the Option key and tapping my Right arrow
key, the first tap will give me "Hi" and the second tap will give me "Roger".
At that point, my insertion point is just after the final "r" in "Roger".  If I
now continue to press the Option key and tap the Left arrow key, I'll hear
"Roger", and a second tap will produce "Hi".  My insertion point is just before
the initial letter "H" in "Hi".  Tapping the Right arrow key gives me "H", and
places my insertion point just after the initial letter "H".  If I were to tap
the Left arrow key, I'd also hear "H", as my cursor
  traverses the letter in the opposite direction, moving to the left from just
after the letter to just before the letter.

On Mac laptops, the way to perform a "forward delete" of the character to the
right of the insertion point is to press Fn+Delete.   Also, although most of
the same keyboard combinations for moving and editing that you use for text on
the Mac will also work using Bluetooth keyboards paired to iOS devices, because
the "Fn" key is not enabled for use under iOS, you'd have to forward delete
characters by selecting them and then pressing the "Delete" key.  Specifically,
hold down the shift key and tap your right arrow to select one or more
characters, then press the "Delete" key.  For example, let's say I wanted to
change the phrase: "show this is true"  to change it to "how is this true"  and
my insertion point is before the "s" in "show".  I'd press the Shift key to
start my selection, then tap the Right arrow key to select the "s".  Than I
would press the delete key.  Of course, you can also continue to select words,
lines, and characters while still holding down the Shift key,
  before pressing the delete key to delete all your selected text.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther