Hello Catherine,

You need to identify whether you are running Lion or Snow Leopard.  I don't
think it's possible to retrieve an Admin password if you've forgotten it, but
you can reset it.  For systems up through Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) you can
do this if you have the install discs.  I summarize an article that describes
how to do this using the Lion Recovery partition, but I'm not running Lion
myself, so I can't test this.

1. Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while simultaneously holding down the
Command and "r" keys to boot into the recovery partition.
2. From the menu bar (accessed with VO+m or Control+F2), navigate to the
"Utilities" menu and arrow down to select "Terminal", then press return.
3. In the Terminal window, type "resetpassword" (one word without the quotation
marks) and press "Return".
4. Use the Reset Password utility to select your hard drive, choose you user
account, and enter a new password.

Someone who actually has Lion running can probably check this out for you.
Write back if you're using Snow Leopard and have access to your install discs
-- there's more experience with this.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther