Hello Ian and David,

I answered David's query on another list, but I'll just summarize that the
issue with both attached USB and Bluetooth numeric keypads is that they lose
their ability to perform the full range of modified Numpad Commander
definitions when used in connection with an external keyboard.  That is, you
can use any of your customized NumPad Commander definitions that work without a
modifier key, along with the ones that use the "0" key on the external NumPad
as the modifier.  As David described, you can quit the keyboard setup assistant
when it comes up and work with the NumPad.

The issue seems to be that the Keyboard Setup Assistant identifies the kind of
keyboard you use by the other keys you are instructed to press during setup.
These keys don't exist when you just use an external numeric keypad.  So what
would happen when I pressed a modifier key like Shift, Command, Control, or
even the Escape key on an external keyboard is that the external numeric keypad
somehow got identified with a keyboard which did not have a built-in number
pad, and the other modifier key sequences would get lost.  This is also true
for Bluetooth numeric keypad, by the way.  I tried this with an LMP Bluetooth
keyboard that is Mac compatible. Turning on keyboard help to check the
operations of the shortcuts, and exiting by pressing the escape key on another
keyboard seemed to lose the modifier functionality.

What's interesting is that using the Edovia "Numpad -- Wireless Numeric Keypad"
app does execute the modified NumPad Commander sequences correctly.  However,
this combination doesn't work in practice any more, because somewhere back in
iOS 4.1, I think, the response of these wireless apps got very sensitive to
typing repeating keys.  So you can't just execute the simple modified NumPad
Commander commands with the combinations -- they tend to stutter with repeated
sequences.   I can say that this used to work back in Fall 2009.  I'm not sure
whether the app's developer can even do anything to fix this, because I think
the changed behavior had to do with overall responsiveness under iOS.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther