Hi Ed,

When I read the description of iKeyboard, it didn't seem as though it supported
cut and paste of text from the Mac side.  At least, the user comments from
November state that this function was wanted and it didn't show up under the
improvements to the latest version.  Also, I can type option key combinations
from my Mac keyboard and have these entered correctly on my iOS device (I
paired my iPad, as well as my iPhone).  I can also switch my input language
keyboard to another language, and have the text correctly supported by
Type2Phone.  I suspect that this function is also supported by iKeyboard, and
perhaps for more languages, since although Type2Phone currently supports 18
international keyboards, it did not support typing in Russian, and I note that
Greek is also not supported, although iKeyboard does support these.

Another comment on Type2Phone pairing when you set up a second connection:  you
need to use either Control+Click or use use some other "hardware click" to
press the button to select the device.  That means that on a desktop Mac you
should be able to press the "5" key with NumPad Commander to click, or you can
turn Mouse Keys on (if you have this set to toggle on or off with 5 presses of
the Option key, this is the easy way), and then tap the "i" key on your laptop
keyboard, or click the button of a physically attached mouse.  (I'm assuming
the last works, since I'm not using a mouse with my laptop.)   VO-Space won't
work here, but Control+Click on the trackpad gave me the menu options to
connect to a new device.  Again, the first time I did this with the iPad, the
pairing took place immediately, after initiating it from the iPad's Settings >
General > Bluetooth screen, and I got the dialog prompt on both my iPad and my
MacBook Pro screen for the same pairing code.  So I doubl
 e tapped to accept this on the iPad screen, and also accepted it on my MacBook
Pro screen, and the devices showed up as paired. But because I hadn't chosen
the menu option to connect to a new device, Type2Phone identified this as being
paired with my iPhone, and the keys that I typed didn't show up on the iPad.
(This was immediately obvious, because the Type2Phone toolbar not only
identifies your status as "Connected", but also says what device you have
connected to -- which was still "Esther's iPhone".)

So I chose the menu option for "Disconnect" from the button that announced
"Esther's iPhone", went back to the Bluetooth menu on my iPad under Settings,
went to the entry for "Apple's MacBook Pro, Connected", and flicked right to
the "More Info" button, then double tapped, and double tapped on the button to
"Forget this device".  Then I started the pairing again after choosing the menu
option for "Connect to new device" in the Type2Phone app.  This all went pretty
fast, and made sense.  The only thing odd is that the app will register the
Bluetooth connection with the first device I set up (my iPhone), even though
the pairing was initiated from my iPad and actually connected to my iPad.
Apparently, it gets the information about the device configuration to use the
first time it does the Bluetooth pairing.  Afterwards, it's just re-established
when you select the device (if you have more than one paired).  But it only
goes through correctly with keyboard actions if you're act
 ually paired to the device that is correctly identified.

Another piece of information:  once connected, if you VO-Left arrow from the
Type2Phone toolbar there's an unlabled button.  Using Control+Click on this
shows that this gives a menu of supported keyboards, with your currently used
input keyboard identified as "Selected".  If I use my assigned Mac shortcuts to
change my input language keyboard, the selection will be reflected here.  As I
mentioned, this works when I switch to an input language that is supported,
such as French or Spanish, but not to a language such as Russian.  Apparently
this button displays a country flag icon for the associated input language
similar to the one that appears when you use multiple input languages on the
Mac, and have the icon on your status menu bar.  The icon image usage here may
be why the button is not announced by VoiceOver by default.

Now some odd experiments:  I tried typing TextExpander snippets.  I have this
implemented on both my Mac and on my iPhone and iPad, and was typing in the
Simplenote app that supports this.  What happened is that I heard the sound
that TextExpander makes when it expands text, but what happened is that the
current contents of my Mac clipboard, not the TextExpander associated snippet,
got copied to the Simplenote app on my iPad.  I suppose that TextExpander must
make use of the Clipboard.

What was more interesting is that when I turned VoiceOver off on my Mac while
typing in Type2Phone that the arrow keys on my Mac enabled rotor functions.
So, for example, if I were typing in French on my Mac keyboard, I could set the
default language to French on my iPad by using the arrow keys to set the rotor
to languages and then to select French.  OK, more odd experiments: I wanted to
know whether I could use the arrow keys for movement and key combinations for
selection in the text I typed in my iPad.  Well, I could -- but only when I
triple-clicked the Home button on my iPad to toggle VoiceOver off.  Then
pressing arrow keys moved my insertion point around in the text on my iPad,
similar to the way I could do this using a paired Bluetooth keyboard in the
app. I could also select text with the Shift key and the Option and arrow keys
while VoiceOver on the iPad was toggled off, and the selection would present
when VoiceOver was toggled back on, but I wouldn't have heard
 the feedback of VoiceOver announcing what was selected as I would if I were
using a paired Apple Wireless Keyboard.  Otherwise, I have to make changes in
the insertion point on my iPad by double tapping to move to the start or end.
At one point of the combination of toggling VoiceOver on and off I got the
interface to work as though it were a Bluetooth keyboard using the arrow keys
to move insertion points, but I lost track of the sequence of toggles where I
got this to happen.

Anyway, I've been enjoying playing with this app.  I'd be curious to hear any
reports from Ed about iKeyboard, and am curious about the need to turn
VoiceOver off on the computer to use it.  Type2Phone does not require me to
turn VoiceOver off on my Mac.  However, I do need to enter the text field that
I want to use before I start typing.  Ed, are you saying that if you turn off
VoiceOver on your Mac when you use iKeyboard that it works exactly like a
paired Bluetooth keyboard for navigation on your iOS device?

OK, I've turned VoiceOver off on my Mac, and can use the keyboard to navigate
my iPad.  But in this mode I don't think I can copy and paste from my Mac.  The
QuickNav functions seem to work, but  not shortcuts like VO-H.

I'll be interested in hearing more about these apps.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther