Hi Ian,

Sarah's already described how to use spell-check.  I also use an AppleScript to
do the word and character count in TextEdit, although not the same one as
Travis uses, I think.  By the way, the link to the word count script at the
softcon site comes up with a File not found message.

In Pages you'll find the character and word count information in the Document
Inspector.  Use Command-Option-I to toggle on the Inspector, then navigate to
the Info tab.  You might set up an activity, if you're using Lion, and set hot
spots.  (I'm still using Snow Leopard, so maybe Anne or someone else can
suggest the best way to access this.)

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther