Hi Daniel,

If you downloaded a file with .zip extension, did you try double-clicking on it
to unpack it? That's pretty standard for unpacking software distributed as
.zip, which should be the first step.

I remember that Greg Kearney wrote an eSpeak installer for the Mac, and you can
find this at:
http://www.cucat.org/projects/espeak/

But I found that reference by searching the Mail Archive, and the post that
announced that site was made in 2008!:
• eSpeak for MacOS improvements
http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@macvisionaries.com/msg32311.html

As far as I know, eSpeak never existed as an application.  You had to compile
and install it, and even then you could only route items you wanted spoken with
text-to-speech, such as by using a unix pipe from the Terminal command line.
As Sarah remarked, it was mainly used from a Terminal interface.  It's probably
possible to use Automator's ability to run shell scripts to make using this
from a GUI interface easier.  I've never looked into using eSpeak at all,
myself.  Greg was mostly interested in this for the ability to add support for
creating talking books in languages that still weren't supported, and didn't
separately keep up with the status of the app.  You're far better off starting
with the current .zip file, and seeing where you get to.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther